Special occasions like the Super Bowl are great. However, many dieters allow themselves to cheat. Don’t be tempted! If you do, your body will revert back to storing rather than burning fat and it will then take up to 3 weeks to reverse the damage!
Dr. Charles Nguyen, Dr. Tu Song Anh Nguyen and health journalist Mary Ann Marshall have co-authored the forthcoming book The Thinsulin Program: The Breakthrough Solution To Help You Lose Weight And Say Thin (Da Capo, February 9. 2016) which reveals the real secret to healthy and sustainable weight loss: a focus on insulin not calories.
Using this approach, you don’t need to cheat. As long as you choose foods that won’t spike insulin, you have many options that’ll let you wake up Monday morning feeling good about yourself and what you ate — even if your team wins or loses!
Below are 5 simple and delicious recipes to help you celebrate Super Bowl Sunday:
- Boil hot water
- Boil or poach the wings and drumettes for 5 minutes to release excess oil from skin
- Take the wings and air dry for 10 minutes
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
- Lay wings and drumettes on baking sheet
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown, then flip
- Bake for another 20 minutes until other side is golden brown
- Drizzle hot sauce over wings or serve the hot sauce on the side
Ten Minute Chili
- In a saucepan, add 1 pound of ground turkey, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp ground cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste
- When meat is cooked, add 1 cup of chopped tomatoes, 1 cup of chopped green bell peppers, 1 cup of chopped onions
- Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cut kale leaves from stems and tear them into bite size pieces
- Wash and thoroughly dry kale with salad spinner
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until edges are brown but not burnt
- Use celery, broccoli, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers
- Don’t add root vegetables such as radishes or carrots!
- Serve with a healthy dip of yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper and spices such as curry or dill on the side
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F
- Using a skillet, over high heat, heat 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Sautee ½ large chopped onion in the skillet for 5 minutes, until softened
- Add 1 ½ tsp minced garlic and cook 1 minute more, remembering to stir frequently
- Transfer garlic and onion to a bowl; mix in the ½ lb. ground beef and 1 lb. ground turkey with 4 egg whites, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp of black pepper
- Roll into golf ball-sized meatballs
- Place on jelly roll pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until brown
And remember – for those drinks: Water should always be the first choice. But for those who really want something stronger, go for wine or hard liquor. Avoid beer, because it is like eating bread!