Alan Viau has an eclectic educational background:
- BSc in Biochemistry/ Nutrition from University of Ottawa
- PhD in Chemistry from the University of Waterloo
- Masters Certificate in Marketing from Richard Ivery School of Business
- Master Certificate in Public Administration from Sprott School of Business
- Certified Yoga Instructor
- Minister of Religion
His work history reflects an eclectic experience:
- In private industry in senior management roles for Hewlett-Packard, and Corel Corporation.
- As a consultant providing science-policy advice, and consulting to various Government of Canada departments (Shared Services Canada, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Health Canada, Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada, Department of National Defense, and the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission), Government of Nunavut, and non-profit organizations.
- In public service as scientific advisor, and IT senior manager in the Government of Canada departments: Health Canada, Public Services and Procurement Canada, Correctional Service Canada.
- In the not-for-profit sector as board member of Guelph Children Singers, Planned Parenthood, Suzart Productions, Loose Tea Music Theatre. He has also directed and stage managed several musical theatre productions.
On a Personal Note:
- Married since 1981 to his sweetheart, Maureen.
- Has three fabulous adult children
- Completed triathlons and marathons
- Trained in martial arts for 20 years
- Cancer survivor – three diagnosed at the same time (bladder, kidney, prostate)
- Has performed over 1400 weddings, baptisms, and memorial services in the Ottawa area
- Avid gardener
- Fosters sick cats and kittens
- Santa Claus