I grew up on the east coast with an abundance of fish. Mom used to make seafood chowder on a regular basis during the cold winter days. There was nothing more welcoming after a cold school bus ride home than the smell of seafood chowder on the stove.
Mom used to add lard and make the base with flour. So I adapted this recipe to make it gluten free and meat free.
- 1/2 sweet onion cut finely
- 2 cloves garlic cut finely
- 1 cup celery cut in small bite size pieces
- 2 cups of potatoes cut in small bite size pieces
- 1 cup raw shelled raw shrimp cut in half
- 4 fillets of sole cut in bite size pieces
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup milk
Melt butter in 8 liter pot. Fry the onions, garlic and celery til cooked. Add 4 liters of water. Add potatoes, shrimp, sole and bouillon cube. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer until potatoes are cooked.
Dissolve cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water. Add 1/4 cup of broth and mix with cornstarch. Dump into the pot and stir the soup. Take the 1/2 cup of milk and mix with 1/2 cup of broth. Add to the soup and stir.
Let the soup burgle away and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve when ready… just nummy to the tummy.