The Top Health Benefits of Olive Oil for Your Family

Olive oil and olives on rustic wood background

You might have seen olive oil as an ingredient in beauty products, recipes, and in supplements. The oil, naturally obtained from olives, has many benefits to your body, inside and outside. There are different olives from different countries, which explains its different tastes. Extra virgin olive oil is more expensive than other oils. It is unrefined and cold pressed to retain all its benefits. Keep reading to learn about the various health benefits of olive oil for your family.

What Makes Olive Oil Beneficial to Your Family?

The nutritional profile of olive oil makes it beneficial to all its users. Olive oil contains 100 percent fat. A tablespoon of the oil gives 135 calories and 14g of fat. Of the fat in the oil, 2g is saturated fat and 12g is unsaturated, ensuring that the oil remains healthy.

75 percent of the unsaturated fat in olive oil is oleic acid (omega-9), which has a myriad of health benefits. The remaining 25 percent consists of polyunsaturated fats, omega-3, and omega-6. Besides the fat, olive oil contains vitamin E, which is important for the normal functioning of the immune system and the health of the skin and eyes. It also provides the body with vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting and wound healing.

Olive oil also contains antioxidants, which have numerous health benefits. Extra virgin olive oil has more antioxidants than refined oil. If you have a hard time finding it in your local stores, you can try to buy olive oil online to ensure you can get the extra virgin oil.

Olive Oil and Heart Health

Mediterranean diet is rich in olive oil. The use of the olive oil in the diet makes their food so healthy and delicious. A lot of research shows the importance of olive oil for heart health. The oil can reduce blood pressure and improve the levels of healthy cholesterol in the body. By so doing, the oil reduces the risks of heart disease. Among other sources of monounsaturated fats, olive oil is the most effective at reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

Olive Oil and Inflammation

Inflammation is one of the leading causes of diseases. It increases the risk of Alzheimer’s syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes. The antioxidants in olive oil reduce inflammation in the body and, therefore, reduce the risks of different diseases. Extra virgin oil is more beneficial. It contains oleocanthal, a strong antioxidant with the same benefits as ibuprofen, and which acts as a natural anti-inflammatory solution. The function of this antioxidant has been associated with improved immune function in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.

Olive Oil and Mood

Olive oil can reduce the risks of depression by enhancing your mood. You can get olive oil by taking plenty of fruits, vegetables, and oily fish. According to a study, seniors who took Mediterranean diet with nuts and olive oil showed improved brain function. This is important in reducing the risks of Alzheimer’s. The oil might also protect people from Type 2 Diabetes and is also effective in reducing the risks of some forms of cancer. By preventing depression, the oil prevents other associated health conditions.

Olive Oil and Bacteria

Some of the nutrients in olive oil can kill bacteria or inhibit their propagation. One of the bacterium that olive oil kills is the Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium that thrives in the stomach of human beings. The bacterium increases the risks of stomach cancer and is also responsible for stomach ulcers. Using extra virgin olive oil kills eight strains of the bacteria, some of which have mutated to resist antibiotics. To kill the bacteria, you need at least 30 grams of extra virgin olive oil every day for two weeks.

Olive oil does not contribute to weight gain as other fats and oils do. Taking Mediterranean diet has some positive effects on your weight. When you take more olive oil, you get enough antioxidants, and that can contribute to weight loss.

Extra virgin olive oil from whole olives, unrefined, and cold-pressed is healthier than refined oils. During cold-pressing, the oil retains most of the nutrients and antioxidants, making it healthier. However, some sellers online will indicate on the label that the oil is extra virgin yet it contains refined oils and other substances that dilute the oil. Read the ingredients list and shop from a reputable seller to ensure you get the best quality oil. It has other benefits including healthy skin and strong bones.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s